Monday, June 3, 2013

New York State of Mind

We spent three days exploring the area in and around New York City. I was surprised to see that it was just as hot there as it was at home, if not hotter!  

It is hard to wrap my mind around just how big that place is.  We spent a lot of our time trying to get from point A to B.  We walked more than 5 miles on our first day in the city. If you know me you know that is a LOT of steps, but I wanted to experience everything I possibly could in the short time we were there!

You see a lot of things when riding on a subway. I couldn't help but daydream and wonder what my fellow passengers every day lives were like and where they were all off to in such a hurry. I love to people-watch anyway and the days in New York City gave me lots of subjects to study!

I noticed that even though New Yorkers were extremely helpful and willing to give us advice or directions, they didn't smile very much. They were reading their papers or engaged in conversations with an intensity that would make observers think that their lives were dependent on what they were doing at that moment.  

I even did a bit of an experiment to see if they would return a smile if one was shown to them.  I smiled at everyone I saw on the subway and only about 3 out of 10 smiled back at me.  One person even  gave me a half a smile and then looked ate like I was crazy.  I felt kinda sorry for them actually, because a smile is something that doesn't cost a cent and can improve your whole day & they don't even seem to know it!  Johnnie said that they were grouchy from having to spend so much of their time under ground trying to catch subways. He may be on to something there!

I also found that there were more trees than I expected. For some reason I thought all the trees were only in Central Park. It's funny when you think about it. Johnnie and I traveled from the country to the city and we found ourselves glad to find trees! 

Yankees stadium was really nice.  We had great tickets to the game, but the Yankees lost.  I am more of a Red Socks fan anyway so I was ok with it.

We also saw Wicked while we were in the city. I have to say that being in that theatre and having such great seats for the show was something that I will remember for the rest of my life!

This has truly been a once in a lifetime trip!


New World Trade Center
Johns pizza Times Square
Our waiter at johns. His name was Jason. 
Lady Liberty
Double deck bus tour!  Hot as Blue Blazes!

Waitn for Wicked to start. I am sooooo excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment