Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Vacations and Memories



Well, the second leg of our vacation is winding down.  We spent one day touring some beautiful country in North Carolina and another day in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.  We have really enjoyed ourselves and made some really great memories.  That's what vacations are for, right?

A funny thing happened though, while we were sitting in a theater listening to a bluegrass band.   As we sat there clapping to the music I looked at a lady sitting on the row right in front of me.  She was clapping and swaying and singing along. She looked to be about the same age as my mother would've been. She was enjoying the music just as much as my mama would've.  In fact, as I looked at her I could see my mama sitting there smiling and clapping and saying "Oh Hun, ain't they the galiest!"  Before I knew it I felt a tear on my cheek. 

I am sure that one thing or another makes me think of her on a daily basis, but this was different.  This was a really happy memory of a time before cancer and Alzheimer's stole her away.  I don't think this was a sad tear at all!  It felt more like a tear of joy!  To me it was like being given just a few more minutes with someone who is so dearly missed. 

So I guess sometimes vacations are not just for making new memories. Sometimes we get to revisit some old and cherished ones as well. 

We still have eleven days ahead of us. I can't wait to see what's in store!


1 comment:

  1. this made me cry...both happy and sad tears. I miss her on a daily basis too.. I tell Susan about her a lot too. This is weird but every time I got to the bathroom, even if I don't, I think "I gotta go poo" and I think of her. I don't know why it's so funny to me but it makes me smile. Love the updates...11 days to go...dang!!! Have fun, be safe! love you!

    ReplyDelete