Sunday, June 9, 2013

Life Experiences


Well our vacation is coming to a close. We are on the road back home as I make this entry and I can't help but reflect on all the places we have been, things that we've seen and experiences that we have shared.  While places and things are nice to reflect upon, the experiences are where the real memories are made.
 

The beauty and majesty of some of the places we have been has only reinforced my belief in the existence and power of God!  In fact, I feel really sorry for those who live on this planet and yet refuse to acknowledge that there is but one creator!  Talk about missing the forest for the trees!

I have seen God in the calmness of a sunrise in Georgia!  I have also seen God in the power of white-water rapids in North Carolina or the falls of the Niagara River!  Those are some places that a believer might expect to see God, but I have felt him in some unexpected places as well!


It's still a little surprising to me, but I also saw God on the streets and in the subways of New York City!   I was pleasantly surprised to see that there were locals who were willing to be of assistance, some without us even having to ask (since we were often too overwhelmed and apprehensive to approach anyone). But it was really nice to see that kindness is alive and kicking north of the Mason-Dixon Line!


We saw much of the world that is kind and good, but unfortunately those are not the only things that make up this world that we live in.   We saw some people with what seemed to be total disregard for others around them.  These would be people who push and run in order to get to the front of a line. These are also the same types of people who walk around wanting only what they want, appearing almost oblivious to the fact that there are others around them and they might be invading their personal space.  These people are only interested in serving themselves.  They are often the ones who see the rules, but feel that they couldn't possibly apply to them!  


At first I wrote that kind of behavior off to cultural differences, but the foreigners were not the only ones behaving this way!  That got me to thinking... The more I considered it I can't say that selfishness can be isolated to any one country or region and unfortunately it exists inside the best of families as well.  

Even though I refuse to dwell in this negativity, I feel compelled to acknowledge the existence of it, and am thankful that my personality does not lean in that direction! (I hope it never does). I do, however, feel pity for those who are so driven by this me me ME mentality!  

These kind of behaviors, I believe, are based in jealousy and a general lack of satisfaction in their own life. How exhausting, and sad it must be to feel the need to keep up that kind of a constant contest with everyone around you.  That is my opinion on that subject!

And so we travel on, headed for home so that we can share stories of the road with dear friends and family.  But the closer we get the more my thoughts drift to one of my dearest friends who is just now taking her first steps into a world that was forever changed by the power of God.  

As I sit here reflecting on all the memories that my husband and I have made not only recently, but over the past nine years, my heart breaks knowing that she must now try to make memories without hers.  


My faith tells me to rejoice in the assurance that he was a fine Christian man and that we will see him again in heaven. My mind gets angry and wants to question God and ask why he would let someone overcome so many huge obstacles only to have him taken from us in such a sudden and unexpected fashion. My heart just hurts because it knows that it has a friend whose life has been forever changed by a tragic loss!

I know there is a plan and that this fits into it somehow, but i also know I am an impatient child and want my answers NOW!  I want to be able to help my friend!  I feel so helpless. Maybe that's the lesson in this. Even with the best of intentions, in the end we really are not the ones in control !

I guess all I can do is take all life's lessons with me as I continue down the highway.  My goal today, just as it was yesterday and it will be tomorrow, is to let people see Christ in my words and deeds!



No comments:

Post a Comment