Sunday, June 29, 2014

We're BACK!

So we just got back from the cruise last night. We flew in to Dallas and are spending a couple days with family in Texas.  I am really glad we opted to do tha because I am absolutely spent from all the traveling and jumping around through time zones. I think I know what jet lag means!

Airplane selfie!

I am not really loving long plane rides!

I don't even know where to begin to describe what a good time we had!  Yes it was Alaska so there was some questionable weather, but it was ALASKA and it was absolutely breathtaking! 

So to begin, here is a little about what we saw:

First the room we had was great!  We opted for an aft balcony room. I would have to say it was a really good idea to have this room.  Our balcony was covered so we could enjoy the sights even when the weather wasn't cooperating!  On the day that the boat went to view the glacier we a little wine n pizza and spent the evening soaking in the beauty of gods creation. 
We also signed up for some amazing excursions.  I ended up enjoying a couple of them more than I even thought I would. 

My very favorite one was whale watching in Juneau.  We booked our tour thru Orka Enterprizes. After doing some research on the net we decided it was the best.  Our captain was really respectful of the whales.   We didn't see any breaching, but we did see several whales.  They were incredible!  It was difficult to put their vast size into perspective unless u see them with your own eyes.   We were looking for one with a specific name and markings. I think her name was Nadia or Natalia or something. We didn't see her, but we did see whales. 
We also got a good view of a glacier. 
I was also surprised to admit that I really enjoyed the lumberjack show even more than I thought I would.  Those guys are really good at what they do & really funny too!
And of course if there was a train to be found we would be riding it!  We traveled the same route that the people took when they were trying to strike it rich in the Klondike gold rush.  

I am sure the train was Johnnie's favorite. It always is!  What I did notice was that there were lots of grown little boys who loved the train too!  
Bridal veil falls
Very narrow foot path along the way. 
Continental divide

So that is a concentration of some of our experiences. I noticed that I have a gillion pictures of the yummy things we ate along the way. Looks like I will have to dedicate another whole entry to the food. Stay tuned!

1 comment: