Monday, June 16, 2014

One Down One To Go!

Vacation week is finally HERE!!!!! I am so excited!!!  My bags are packed and all I have to do is wait until Friday morning!!!  The wait is KILLING ME!!!

So, we had a little pre-vacay vacation last weekend.  We went to South Louisiana with another couple to camp for a four ay weekend.  We really had a blast!  I believe I can honestly say that there is nothing that I dislike about South Louisiana!  I know I have blogged about this before, but there is something about all the geographical area south of Alexandria that just feels like coming home.  The land gets flatter.  The soil gets darker and the mud starts to look like Gumbo!  The air feels heavier and I feel like I am being greeted by a dear old friend!

We stayed at a place called Cajun Palms RV Resort.  It was super nice!  There was a pool with a huge kiddie area and even an area roped off that was for adults only.  There was a swim up bar and the service was GREAT! 

A big storm blew through on Friday and it got pretty exciting in the campground.  We didn't lose an awning, but we did watch one blow away.  Luckily it only lasted a little while and then it was gone.  We weren't gonna let stop our adventure and as soon as the storm broke we took off!



We rode down the levee in Henderson, Louisiana and took our friends to several little places that we knew of on the basin.  They had no lights or electricity, but they were still open for business and very hospitable.  The last stop on the tour was a restaurant called Pat's Fisherman's Wharf.  I don't know if I have blogged about this place before, but if I didn't I sure should have!!!



This place has been open since the 1950's.  I can remember going there when I was a kid in the 70's or 80's and I can say that as of 2014 not much has changed!  Even one of the waitresses had been there for 40-something years.  She was there the last time we were there and she was there again this past Friday.  The food was as fabulous as I expected it to be!  It's good to know that there are still some places where nothing changes!

Saturday morning was the BEST!  We took our friends to a place called Café Des Ami in down town Breaux Bridge, Louisiana.  We got there about 7:40am and were just in time to stand in a little line for the Zydeco Breakfast.  We enjoyed a wonderful breakfast while watching folks dance to a really great live Zydeco band.  The dance floor stayed full all morning.  This was something that Johnnie and I had come to the last time we were in South Louisiana, but due to an ice storm we didn't get the live music.  All we got was the breakfast (which was still pretty yummy!)





After breakfast we were looking for more to do.  We saw the sign for Evangeline-Longfellow historic site.  The beauty in this place was absolutely breathtaking.  We got to see a 200 year old creole style home and then just a short distance away there was an old Acadian cabin.  Johnnie and I loved everything about that place.  We are such history nerds!





We found another really great restaurant in down town Breaux Bridge and that's where we had our supper.  Everyone else had burgers since that was the main thing on the menu.  I had to take advantage of one more opportunity to eat seafood and so I had a crab burger.  Everyone said that their meal was delicious.  With that I will give Angelle's Restaurant on Bridge Street 2 thumbs up!


Cajun Palms had a live Zydedco band Saturday night.  They were fabulous and it was so fun to watch the people dance.  I think that is one of the things I miss most about South Louisiana.  Family is EVERTHING!  Everyone from the oldest to the youngest were all dancing and having a ball!

So Sunday was come home day.  Usually I'd be sad about it but this time I had too much on my mind.  I still have 2 days of ESYS (Summer classes) and then we are OFF TO DALLAS for the first leg of our trip to Alaska!!!  I am all packed and ready to go.  Now I just have to wait 3 days and the suspense is killing me!!!

We well celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary on a slow boat to Alaska!  Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment