Thursday, July 4, 2013

Holidays and Ordinary Days

Happy Birthday America!!!  Today is July 4th, but we won't have our celebration around here until tomorrow.  We live on the lake and every year there is a HUGE fireworks display on or around the 4th.  There are lots of things going on to make this year's celebration super special!

My Katie and Beckham have been here since Monday evening.  I LOVE having them in the house.  I can't get over how much he's grown.  He is almost a year old and walking everywhere!  He thinks he needs to re-arrange things everywhere he goes!  It's funny how he has a house full of toys to play with, but the only things he is interested in are cans of vegetables (tomato paste specifically), water bottles, and any piece of technology that he is not supposed to be messing with.  It's hard to fuss since he's so stinking cute!  I am working on it though.  I am looking for that balance between helping him grow into a polite, kind, sweet, loving little boy who follows the rules and respects his elders, and "Anything Goes at Yaya's house!".  Like I said, I am working on it!

We are also super excited that Johnnie's son and daughter in law and the grand girls will be coming to spend the day with us as well.    I do believe it will be the first time that our whole family will be together at the same time.  Well this isn't the whole family, as our son in law is in Alaska working, but I will take what I can get.  Family was always so important, when I was growing up.  Holidays always included numerous aunts, uncles, cousins & grandparents.  I am excited to be able to be hosting the party for our kids, and hope that this begins a wonderful tradition.

This will also be the first year that we get to participate in the flotilla parade.  We've been on the lake shore for the last 5 years, but this year we have a party barge so we can actively participate in the parade and then go out in the lake to see the fireworks up close.  We have talked about wanting to do that for years and we are finally getting to.  I don't know who is more excited, Johnnie, or me!  Can't wait to post photos of the day/evening.

This has been a fun and busy week!  I put up several bags of peaches in the freezer.  Now Johnnie can have his favorite fruit & ice cream long after the season is over.  I also took my first shot at making pickles.  Actually I had made dill pickles a few weeks ago at my girlfriend's house, but I have never tried to make bread & butter pickles.  I was able to get taste them today and both types are delicious, if I say so myself!  I am pretty proud of the way they turned out.  They are beautiful to look at and DELICIOUS!!!

I couldn't help but laugh to myself tonight at dinner.  Katie was wondering what we were going to eat and said that she could not eat another tuna fish sandwich.  Johnnie wanted tuna fish.  So I was left no choice but to open up Amy's short order kitchen.  I didn't mind it at all, especially because I can remember my mama doing the exact same thing.  I guess that's where I get it from! It all worked out in the end.  Everybody went to bed full and happy and that makes me happy!

I have spent this week thinking, and planning and thinking some more.  I have thought about the way in which some of my most important relationships have changed and grown throughout the years.  I have thought about the prayers that were sent up when things were not going the way I would have liked them to be going.    I sent up even more prayers thanking God for helping all of us to find that connection to one another again.  The peace that comes with that kind of forgiveness is not something that happens by accident, and it is definitely not something that should ever be taken for granted.  I am thankful for holidays and for ordinary days!

No comments:

Post a Comment