Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Turning The Page

The last few days of summer are flying by!  In only a few more days I will be beginning my sixth year as a teacher.  I am so looking forward to this year!  I'm excited to be working for a new supervisor.  This isn't to say that I didn't love my last one, because I totally did!  I guess I was fearful of who might replace the supervisor who was retiring.  I am very happy to report that I love the new boss as much as I did the one that came before her.  I really believe this year is going to be FABULOUS!!!

I am also looking forward to starting out a school year where I am not obligated to take graduate classes at the same time that I am teaching my own.  I have taken a fairly heavy load of classes, at the same time that I was teaching my own, for the past 5 years so this will be a totally new experience to me.
Life is about more than work though.  This summer has been filled with some really great experiences!  My husband and I took what I can only describe as the trip of a lifetime!  We traveled across the United States, all the way to Canada & checked off lots of bucket-list things as we went along!  

I also got to spend some really fun times with family.  Between birthdays and holidays and just plain old visits, I can honestly say that my summer was filled with family times.  The best part is that the family times aren't over!  My husband and I will wind down this summer with more family in Texas over the Labor Day weekend.  I told Johnnie's niece the other day that I was really glad that my in-laws were not a bunch of weirdos and I truly mean that.  It's so nice to be able to look forward to spending time with family!!!

In other news, I am still sticking to my diet!  Actually I am not trying to think about it like a diet.  I think it's better if I just look at it like a lifestyle change.  I know that I have a long way to go, but I am determined to make some changes.  I have already cut out diet drinks.  I am drinking water primarily and making a conscious effort to NOT EAT BETWEEN MEALS!!!  I am working to increase my activity level and  counting calories.  Surely if I keep at this I will be successful!  I have already lost 7lbs and I feel really good about that.  Oh, and I am working to stop smoking!  I am down to 2 or 3 cigarettes per day.  

I think it's a mental thing at this point!  I mean, I refuse to actually say I am quitting smoking and I refuse to leave the house without a pack of cigarettes stashed somewhere.  This is just in case I get stuck somewhere, I don't want to be nerved up somewhere needing a smoke and not having one!  Yep I know it's crazy!!!

I am still working on strengthening my spiritual life too.  I have really enjoyed attending church the past few weeks.  I didn't get to go last Sunday because I was out of town.  I don't think I will make it this Sunday either since we have plans to go camping, but I am really looking forward to going September 1st!  It's Duck Commander day at church and my uncle Phil is preaching so I know the lesson will be great!

I come from a very colorful family.  In fact, in the past year some of my relatives have really made a name for themselves in the world of reality television.  I am so proud of the work that they are doing and it is so cool to hear stories of their travels all over the world.  I know my granny and mama are looking down from heaven and they are so proud of them too! 

So, I think it's safe to say that this summer has been a total success!  I've been able to make some really incredible memories.  I've had some fabulous experiences!!  I strengthened some relationships that I treasure and reconnected with some friends who I haven't been with in over two decades!  I am healthy and happy!  I am excited to start a new school year and see what lies ahead!  I am turning the page to the next chapter in my life and I can't wait to see what happens!!!  Stay Tuned!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment