Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Happy Birthday Lula!

My baby girl turns 23 today.  It's hard to believe that so much time has passed.   I can close my eyes and remember the very first time I laid eyes on her.  I remember it like it was yesterday!  I was young and unprepared, but I knew from the first time I heard her tiny heart beating that I loved her more than anything in this world!  With that first connection came a feeling that I can not even describe with words!

I am sure that there are other parents out there who can relate to the way that I am feeling.  I know, in my own case, I had no idea what to expect and I was TERRIFIED that might not be able to be the kind of parent that I wanted to be.  My fears were set aside the first time I laid eyes on my beautiful baby girl.  In those first moments a kind of calm came over me that I can't explain.  She was born by planned C section so there were no surprises about when she was going to get here.  I remember that I started crying from the moment I was rolled into the delivery room.  I was so nervous and fearful and I guess the only way I knew to express those feelings was through uncontrollable tears.

All my fears were calmed the first time our eyes met!  I remember us staring at each other in those first few moments and me thinking, "It's just you and me and I don't know where our journey together will take us, but I promise to love you for the rest of my life!"

We all know that there are no parenting instruction manuals.  I know that I have made missteps and even fallen down a time or two during these past 23 years. With that said,  I am so very thankful that she could see past the errors and love me anyway!  That's the kind of love a parent has for a child, but not always a child for a parent and I thank God and my sweet "Lula"  for forgiveness!!

We've learned a lot during the last 23 years.  Sometimes I think I have learned as much from her as I have taught her!  I also know that I could not have planned this grand adventure we've been on if I tried!  I have come to understand that my most precious gifts in life have come as unplanned surprises!!!

I am so very proud of the young woman, and mommy that she has grown into.  When I count my blessings, she is at the very top of my list!  So today I say Happy Birthday to my sweet baby girl! I am so thankful that she loves me with all of my flaws!

And so today, on your birthday, I wish you happiness, success, love and joy for those are all the things you have brought to my life!  To quote Robert Munsch, "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living my baby you'll be!"




3 comments:

  1. AWWWWWW!!! Thank you Mama!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet , it's so adorable to see a mum's love written :')

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quote was from my favorite book to read to my babies when they were little. Awesome blog.

    ReplyDelete